Thursday 12 January 2012

Ed Sheeran - Drunk


One of the lasting adages of the music biz is that you can never win them all over. I should know, I've spent long enough trying to convince everyone I know that Girls Aloud really are one of the greatest bands in existence. Ever.

But to reverse the situation, Ed Sheeran is one artist that just doesn't cut it with me. Ever since I first heard that soppy A Team refrain, I've been utterly unconvinced by his music - and despite being deluged with his songs every time I turn on Radio 1, they haven't warmed on me at all.

You see, while his debut album + has sailed through sales hurdles - only the other week turning triple platinum - it's attempts at ardent credibility and earnest love-lorn poetry just don't ring true with me. While hundreds of girls might swoon at the likes of Lego House, to me, it just feels limp.

New single Drunk follows the path of its predecessors step for step. Clearly not wishing to toe the line, it pulls on that whimsical Lego House overcoat and once again tries to state a case for Sheeran's balladry. But in its twee acoustic fumbling, it just ends up as a bit of a snooze-fest.

The trouble with Drunk is that it tries to be pop music for people who don't like admitting they like pop. And for that, it feels all the poorer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.