Wednesday 30 March 2011

Britney Spears - How I Roll


Of all the tracks on the new Britney album, it's not the best track that has most gripped me, but the gloriously filthy How I Roll. There's something about it that demands I listen to it again and again, to somehow get a grip on what is surely Britney's quirkiest musical moment to date.

Its cheery, hand-claps and music-box melody style reminds me a lot of The Cure's classic Close To Me, but that's as far as the similarities go really. The rest is all about the lyrics - I mean, with lines like 'You can be my fuck tonight...' and 'Go down-town where my posse's at...' we can hardly accuse Britney of being shy at coming forwards. It's this comic, wink-and-a-grin attitude that injects this song with so much fun - it's irresistible, infectious - like those jokes we all know; utter toilet humour on the most basic of levels, but we can't help but chuckle away.

And the realt strength of the track is that, coming from Britney, this song is utterly believable. From anyone else, we'd shake our heads and go 'Huh?!' But from Britney, we can understand it. She's allowed to do this. In the wonderful, magical world of Britney Spears, this kind of track can be pushed, become the highlight on a brilliant album.

Which just leaves us all imagining what kind of dance routine will accompany the song when she comes to tour the album...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.