Wednesday 22 June 2011

INTERVIEW - Dionne Bromfield


This week sees up and coming songstress Dionne Bromfield releasing her new single Foolin', the follow up to massive airplay hit Yeah Right. Aged just 15, she's already bagged herself a record deal on Amy Winehouse's Lioness label as well as a slot presenting The Friday Download show on the CBBC channel. With so much talent on show, we thought it'd be only right to catch up with her for a quick chat.

You’ve performed at some of the biggest arenas in the country like the MEN and the O2, do you prefer big venues like this or smaller, more intimate settings?
I like both. I like intimate because it’s nice to be able to connect with the audience a little bit more and it’s nice and cosy. Then again, I like playing big arenas because to be able to say I played there is really cool and I get to connect with even more people! Tricky question!

Do you get nervous before you go on stage?
Oh yeah, I think everyone gets nervous. But a little nerves is good, you know you’re alive!

How does it feel being so young in the music industry? Is it easy dealing with people much older than you?
Sometimes it’s difficult because you just want to muck about. Sometimes I’m like ‘c’mon, I’m a teenager, give me a break!’ Haha! I’m lucky, my mum is always with me and it’s nice to have someone there who I know is looking after me and guiding me.

Do you think you’ve grown up since working on this album?
I have changed a lot. I signed my first album deal when I was 12 so it was a big step, it’s a big job and you have to mature. And I don’t think it’s a bad thing, I’m so used to working with adults now. I don’t class myself as an adult  but I have that mentality because I can’t act like a kid and get on people’s nerves. I have to have that maturity.

You’re currently presenting The Friday Download show on CBBC – did presenting come naturally to you and how different does it feel from performing? 
To be honest, when I went for the audition I didn’t think I’d get it at all. There were loads of other actresses there that had been on all these BBC shows. I was thinking I definitely wouldn’t get it. I did my audition,  forgot about it, and I was kinda like wow, when I got the part. I couldn’t believe it, I was over the moon. Even my mum was like have you got the wrong person?

It’s exciting to know that when you go to do something that is totally out of the box , totally didn’t see myself being able to do it, that someone looks at you and thinks you have the skills to give it a shot.  It was nice to be acknowledged in that way, I love being a presenter.

Were you prepared for the great success of your single Yeah Right? What feelings went through your mind when you first heard it on the radio?
When I first heard it I was over the moon, I couldn’t believe it. And when it got so much hype as it did I was like this is my song and when we finished Yeah Right, I didn’t think it would be a hit. I think I doubted myself a little bit, I thought it wouldn’t do that well, but it did , I’m amazed by it. No wait to see how people react to my new single Foolin’.

Your new album is called Good For The Soul, what else is good for the soul?
Going to concerts and watching other people perform. Anything to do with music. I guess doing school work is good for the soul in the long run! oh, and ice cream!! I think my album is going to be good for your soul!

Foolin' is available to download on iTunes now. Dionne's album Good For The Soul is released on the 4th July, with Play.com offering 1,000 exclusive signed copies of the CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.