Friday 10 December 2010

INTERVIEW - Sunday Girl


The music video for your song Stop Hey is very stylish and you were also named Vogue.com’s ‘one to watch’ - is the visual aspect of your music important to you?
I love looking stylish and dressing up so the video was great fun to film.  I like coming up with cool visual themes to go along with my music, so for this video I went with the idea of ‘superstition’ and had lots of umbrellas open indoors.
Are the 80s a big influence on you?  You covered Laura Branigan’s big 1984 hit Self Control.
I wouldn’t say so in particular, it’s just a song I always really enjoy playing live – I do a cover of Ke$ha’s Tik Tok too and they both get a great response from the crowd!
There are a lot of strong, female singers around at the moment; did you feel you consciously had to make your own stamp on the scene?
You’ve got to be unique – Everyone’s the same otherwise and it’s boring. I’m just myself.
You played a load of festivals over the summer; how does that compare to the smaller, more intimate venues you’ve played on Ellie Goulding’s tour?
I prefer smaller venues like this as it’s dark and more atmospheric.  It really ties in well with my music and I think the audience get a sense of that too.  You get a really great vibe going.
You have an internet blog that you post updates on – Do you think it’s important to keep in contact with your fans in this way?
Definitely!  It’s great to get feedback from fans and I really enjoy doing the blog.  I haven’t had as much of a chance recently because of being so busy with the tour, but I’ve got loads of stuff to add to it now, which will be fun!
Do you feel having a career in music has changed you in any way as a person?
I feel more confident as an artist; a lot braver.  I’ve got a motto that is ‘If you don’t try, you don’t get’, and it’s true.  You’ve just got to keep trying and you get more and more confident in yourself, especially when you’re doing something you enjoy.  In your dreams, you can do anything you want, so why shouldn’t this be true in real life too.
In this age of downloads and people cherry-picking individual songs, is it still important to put a consistent album together as a complete body of work?
I still love listening to albums as a whole – I think it really gets the artist’s message across in a way individual songs can’t do as much.
Is there one song in the history of music that you wish you had written yourself?
Hmmm, that’s a tough one!  I think something by Beyonce, Kelis or Kanye West – I love them!  Whenever I listen to their tracks I just think wow!

Stop Hey is released January 11th 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.