Monday 18 October 2010

Summer memories of a favourite album...


It’s safe to say that New Order’s ‘Republic’ is in my top 10 favourite albums of all time. A couple of years ago I went on holiday to the south of France and this was one of the few albums I had on my iPod. On those long, lazy summer days, I listened to it again and again and it never grew old or boring.

Fantastically consistent, it more than deserves the Number 1 chart placing it achieved back in 1993 and sees the band striking the perfect balance between the rock/dance fusion that came to define them. Brilliant production values, well crafted lyrics and unforgettable melodies - Republic has it all. Maybe it’s the album cover itself with its image of a gloriously hot tropical beach juxtaposed against a raging fire, or maybe its the delicate lightness of the tracks themselves, but every time I listen to the album now I’m taken back to that summer of a few years ago.

The best music will always be the music that comes to mean something to you in some form or other, and for me, this album, and the lead single Regret in particular, does that more than most. And for that, it’ll always hold a special place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.